Thursday, December 14, 2017

A Geminid Meteor Captured Near Orion's Belt and Sword

(Click on the image for a more full-screen view)

A Geminid Meteor
...part of the annual Geminid Meteor Shower
caused by Earth crossing the trail of the object 3200 Phaethon,
which is thought to be a Palladian asteroid with a "rock comet" orbit.

Field of view:
just east of the Belt and Sword of the Orion constellation
The bright nebula is Messier 42 (aka The Great Orion Nebula)

Setup:
Canon T3i, 50mm lens, ISO 1600, 6 second exposure at f/2.8
December 14, 2017 @ 1:21 am - Outside Temp: 15 degrees F

Post-processing:
Pushed the saturation up a bit
otherwise the image is "as is"

History of the shot:
I woke at about 12:45 am and looked out the bedroom window and could see lots of stars. So quickly getting dressed warm I gathered up my Canon camera, 50mm lens and my tripod and headed out to my observatory & warm room (which wasn't all that warm since I didn't start the heater in it when I went to bed... dumb).
After setting the focus and choosing a short enough exposure time (so the stars would not trail too much), I proceeded to capture as many images of the area just east of the belt and sword of the constellation Orion... from the "comfort" of my "warm room" (a 4x6 foot shed next to the obs).
About 1:21 am I captured the one and only meteor (though I continued to "fish" in this portion of the "lake" of the sky until 2:00 am).
Here's a closeup (cropped) image of just the meteor. You will see its color and the color of the slightly streaking stars around it. Again, click on the image for a more full-screen view.


2 comments:

  1. Wow , That's a sweet shot Richard.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean! Wanted to capture more but I was happy to get what I got!

      Delete