Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Whirlpool Galaxy after hours of frustration

M 51 The Whirlpool Galaxy
After 21 days of rain and clouds I was able to reopen the obs and get back to astro-imaging. However, I had to waste nearly 3 hours trying to figure out why my Meade LX200GPS 8" telescope would not accept commands from both Cartes du Ciel (Star Chart) and PHD2 (guiding program). Frustrating. By the time I got it figured out it was well past midnight. Part of this is the consequence of lack of use for 3 weeks, part due to GPS issues with the government resetting their GPS satellites. So what images I did get were not worthy of posting. Last night I went out again, expecting to begin imaging early... but again issues kept me from imaging for well over an hour. Finally I was able to capture M 51, the Whirlpool Galaxy shown here. I used a Meade focal reducer/field flattener but I was not pleased with the soft focus result (even though I did focus it precisely). Data: Single shot of 16 minutes, Canon T3i, 1600 iso, no cropping. Taken 6/3/2019 at 11:30 pm PDT.

No comments:

Post a Comment