Monday, October 16, 2017

M 42 and The Warm Room

The skies cleared and the weather was a little warmer last night so I worked on setting up my "warm room" next to my observatory.




A "warm room" isn't really very warm but it keeps the extreme cold of night from settling in on oneself. It is only 4' x 6' in size, just enough space for two people, if needed. From it I can control the telescope (in the actual observatory) and the camera taking images. In it I can have a small heater which provides just enough heat to keep me from freezing. I also have a security camera that lets me see inside the observatory, even in total darkness, due to the fact that the security camera images in infrared and has an infrared lights. This will help me to see if the scope is moving properly or if it needs attention.

So by the time I got it all set up I only had enough energy to do a brief exposure of M 27, the "Dumbell Nebula". This is about 7 minutes worth of exposure. Not the best I've done but it did serve as a "proof of concept" for working the telescope from the warm room.
M 27 - The Dumbell Nebula - October 15, 2017
Meade LX200GPS 8" Telescope
Canon T3i - ISO 6400 - about 7 minutes exposure (stacked)

Rising early Monday morning I was able to capture The Great Orion Nebula.
This image is the "raw" image before post-processing...

And this is the "final" image after much post-processing.
Note: the image has been rotated 180 degrees from what it would look like through binoculars.
           I think it just looks better this way!
The image was created from various exposures from 10 seconds up to 30 seconds each.
Stacked with DeepSkyStacker to create about a 12+ minute exposure.


No comments:

Post a Comment