Thursday, February 18, 2016

Joined the Bend Astronomy Meetup group

It was a fairly cloudy night when about 10 amateurs gathered in downtown Bend, Oregon to chat about our common interest in astronomy. It was my first opportunity to attend one of these "meetup's" and it was great just hanging with others of like-mind. It is called the "Bend Astronomy Meetup."
I brought my NexStar 4SE mount with my Bushnell scope mounted on it and though the moon was covered with a high, thin layer of clouds we were still able to see it.
But I also brought along my Mallincam Micro Ex astrovideo camera with a small 5" color monitor so that all could see what astrovideo was all about.
And, yes, it got a lot of "WOW"s !
The goto mount did a fair job of keeping the Moon in view (I just did a "solar system" auto alignment using the Moon) and I was impressed by that! It was one of the reasons I purchased the NexStar 4SE in the first place.
Sadly, we all seemed to have forgotten to take some pics to remember the gathering by...
Anyway, I also presented to the group gathered some information on an effort by The Citizen Continental-America Telescopic Eclipse Experiment (aka CATE) which is an effort to document the next solar eclipse here in the United States on August 21, 2017. I hope to be able to get some volunteers for this unique event to help me with my part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment